Sonntag, 1. Mai 2011

Mini Simmons in process

GO RETRO!
For me it´s all about having the most fun in the water. I started to build one of the retro styled fishes (5´10´´) some years ago and I love this small boards with lots of foam. Easy wave catching in small mush as well as in clean summer swell conditions makes this retro shape the perfect one for me to travel with.
Another shape that seems to be fun is the small "Mini Simmons". Small, thick and wide means a lot of glide. Even as perfect as the "Fish" for maybe the most conditions a european surfer (not living next to the ocean) can handle.

Developed by Bob Simmons (1919-1954) this shape seems to get more and more popular nowadays but it is rarely ridden at the european coastlines. Maybe it is, but I have never seen one there in the last years.

I received a nice template for this shape and started to build two blanks for boards of 5´8´´ in lenght with an S-Deck for more foam under the chest and easy paddling as well as less foam to the nose area for a better maneuverability. Both rockerlines are already cut out of the EPS-Foam and I can´t wait to get further to cut the outline and the railbands.

I´ll keep you informed...

Reference: Mini-Simmons from Hydrodynamica on Vimeo.

Keine Kommentare: